December 6, 2011
so, the big day is fast approaching. 6 days worth of advent calender chocolates down and I am really starting to get into the festive spirit. So in this vein, I have found these gorgeously xmasy cupcakes online, the mincemeat, nutmeg and brandy combo is to die for! 🙂
115g butter, softened
230g caster sugar
2tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
230g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
3 eggs, large
½ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
1 tsp brandy, optional
3 oz/85g icing sugar, sifted
1 tbsp Cointreau, or preferred liqueur, or brandy
- Preheat oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 4
- In a large roomy baking bowl, place the butter and sugar and beat together until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla bean paste or extract and stir.
- One by one add the eggs beating really well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Fold into the butter-sugar in three parts, making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Finally stir in the mincemeat, spices and brandy if using.
- Place cupcake cases into a muffin tin. Fill each case 2/3 full and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown and well risen. Cool on a wire rack before icing.
- To make the icing: Combine the Cointreau or liqueur with the icing sugar Drizzle over the top of each cupcake and serve.
Deliciously Christmasy, Thanks to http://britishfood.about.com for the Fab recipe!