Chocolate Layer Cake
December 19, 2011
Always a classic, whatever the time of year, this yummy recipe from the Dairy Book of Home Cookery looks and tastes too good to pass up…
110g (4oz) self-raising flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
110g (4oz) butter
110g (4oz) caster sugar
25g (1oz) golden syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
4 tsp milk
200ml (7floz) double cream, whipped
Grated chocolate to decorate
- Grease and line a deep 20.5cm (8in) round cake tin.
- Sift flour twice with cocoa.
- Cream butter, sugar, syrup and vanilla together until very pale in colour, light in texture and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, adding 1 tbsp of sifted dry ingredients with each one.
- Fold in milk and remaining dry ingredients with a metal spoon.
- Transfer to prepared tin and smooth top with a knife.
- Bake at 180°C (350°F) Mark 4 for 35-40 minutes, or until a wooden cocktail stick, inserted into centre of cake, comes out clean.
- Turn out on to a wire rack, strip off paper and leave until cool.
- Cut cake into two or three layers.
- Fill and cover top with double cream, whipped until thick, or butter cream.